Sunday, March 8, 2009

Stakeholders' Workshop: Programme Standards for Medical & Health Sciences

Recently I was invited as a student representative for Audiology in the above-named workshop, organized by Malaysian Qualifications Agency. It was held in PJ Hilton on the 5th of March, 2009. I was informed of it by my Head of Department, 3 days before the actual day of workshop, so I was not very happy being selected. But as soon as she told me that it will be in PJ Hilton, I was more than happy to go, as I know good food awaits me in PJ Hilton ;p

My coursemate told me the department actually put up a letter of the invite for me. When I read the letter, I had no clue whatsoever on what the workshop is about. I mean, the title of the letter was:
JEMPUTAN SEBAGAI WAKIL PELAJAR BIDANG AUDIOLOGI BAGI BENGKEL PIHAK BERKEPENTINGAN MAKLUM BALAS DRAF STANDARD PROGRAM SAINS PERUBATAN DAN KESIHATAN

Err, mind-boggling isn't it?

I asked Faiz, and even my father. Both had no clue. I texted my lecturer cum Deputy Dean on whether I needed to prepare anything, and she said no. So I went thinking it would be a boring workshop of lectures and already imagining the food I would be savouring.

Come March 5th, 8.30am, it was nothing like I had expected. Instead of rows and rows of chairs and tables, there were round tables arranged, like in a dinner arrangement. I was seated with my lecturer, heads of department of Audiology in USM and UIA, the Chief Audiologist in KKM, one facilitator from MQA and Directors from the Health Promotions Field. Since it is a round table, obviously I couldnt curi-curi study for my mock viva, which I brought notes for. And so I went through the ordeal of listening to older people talk and making myself unsleepy.

The workshop's main objective was to discuss on the standards to be set for the courses in medical and health sciences. My table was designated for Audiology and Health Promotions. Hence, the participants. We discussed on programme aims, learning objectives, student selection, student assessment among others, at the various levels of diploma, bachelors degree, masters degree and doctoral degree.

It was actually a very interesting workshop, as I got to observe how decisions were made between these established people in their own fields. I thought it was pretty much like what we are doing when organizing an event or something, but for this one, brains were actually fully utilized. There are some of course, who prefer eating rather than discussing, and some who just wants to show authority rather than accepting people's opinions. I learned that it's very hard to start a programme from scratch in a university especially if you just graduated with a masters degree. I am sure all kinds of help is much needed.

Nevertheless, I thought it was a fruitful discussion in the best interest for Audiology in the future. Who knows, maybe next time I would be invited as the HOD, or Chief Audiologist maybe? Just wishful thinking. :)

Oh and yes, the food met my expectations ;P

No comments:

Happy World Hearing Day!

Being an audiologist, I would drag my husband to do a hearing test whenever he doesn't listen to me. And each time, he proved me wrong w...