Monday, October 27, 2008

Chicken Pox 101

As I have mentioned, I had chicken pox. It has been two weeks now. Today would be the 16th day. It has dried out but then some of the dead skin has not disattach itself from me.

The scar on my face. for MAS.
I decided to write in about the experience and what everyone has been advising me throughout the painless yet depressing ordeal.

The most important question: How did I get the chicken pox?

A day before the outbreak of the evil red spots, I hosted an open house for my dear friends. It was suspected initially that one of the guests brought the damned virus and spreaded it to me. It was further supported and theorized by the fact that i had an open wound (due to the lack of skill in opening lemang, which had become a joke for my father, tsk, tsk); so I was a sure-victim. The theory was acceptable to many especially odit, as he said I had the chicken pox because he couldn't come to the open house. Yes, odit, very funny.

It was also suspected that my eldest brother was the virus spreader as he had been complaining of having red spots all over his body. But then he confirmed that it wasn't chicken pox, just mild rash.

However, the theory was rejected totally by my friend, Nora who said I must have gotten the virus a week before the open house. Because the virus needs time to replicate. Therefore, I must have gotten it during the early days of Raya. I met a lot of people for Raya. Alas, the spreader could not be traced. Lucky for him/her for being spared from my wrath.

Anyway. I was given MC for a week. Thus, I spent much of the time in front of my laptop, telling anyone who bothers about my ailment. Some were always so thoughtful by asking how was I doing, which I very much appreciate. Thanks guys, you know who you are! Some even gave a nickname to it, two people to be exact, called it chicky. Quite geli but Mas and Mer seemed to enjoy saying it.

I had fruitful discussions as almost everyone I talked to contributed something in expanding my knowledge on chicken pox. Coincidentally that very weekend, Utusan Mingguan featured an article about chicken pox in the health section. But then the article was more to parents' awareness for their small children. Adults down with chicken pox like moi would not be affected much.

Apparently, there are some Dos and Don'ts in Chicken Pox as well.

The Dos:
1. Get MC as soon as you detect the red spots. Do not spread to other people. It is not nice and if somehow you spread it, the person who gets it will be very pissed off, especially if it's her second time (hrmm, this sounds a lot like me).
2. Use calamine lotion to cool down your body and ease the itchiness.
3. Use semambu leaves by blending it and rub it all over the dried spots. You can also bath with it. This helps to clear the scars.


The Indians usually use this leaves because they believed something about it that I don't know as my mother also did not elaborate (I think she also doesn't know but pretends she does! hehe). An acquaintance told me, use curry leaves as it is really effective in removing the scars. Duh, curry leaves? I think she meant the semambu leaves. Thanks anyway for your, erm. Thanks anyway.
4. Consume coconot drink. It was believed that coconut drink helps to recover back the fluid that you lost. Chicken pox is named cacar air in Malay after all. But this is not supported by research, according to the Utusan article.
5. Use Vitamin E oil as it also helps to remove the scars. I am using Natur E (Garden of Eden) and it has shown good results so far. Not immediately; nevertheless.
It can be purchased in pharmacies; don't expect it to be rm10 though.

Now, the Dont's:
1. SCRATCH. Period.
2. Eat oily food.
3. Eat seafood.
4. Eat chicken.
*These food are not good for the scars.
5. Eat soy sauce. It will make the scars black. Unpretty.
6. Go out or touch things or share food like you don't have chicken pox.
7. Cook or be anywhere near the kitchen when someone is cooking. The pox will pop if you do.

Hrmm. I think that's it. That's what I remember so far.

In relating chicken pox to audiology. If you have chicken pox while you are pregnant, your baby might develop hearing loss.

Chicken pox is so not nice.

1 comment:

Masy R. said...

i really enjoy callint it CHICKY POX , and girl , hihihih , ala , i nak pic whole faceee ! hahahahahaha i want more i want more ! ;)

Happy World Hearing Day!

Being an audiologist, I would drag my husband to do a hearing test whenever he doesn't listen to me. And each time, he proved me wrong w...