Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Meaningful Touch

Being an audiologist can be such a routine job. Everyday you come in to work, see patients, do the hearing tests, write reports, then go back home. There are days when you practically only do hearing screenings!

I'm not complaining. I love my job. But it can be really mundane if you do the same thing everyday.

But then there will be days when motivation comes in by surprise. A sweet surprise, I must say.

Those days will be when patients voice out or even show their appreciation, because of simple, yet meaningful touch from the audiologist, that is moi :)

I've had several patients who really compliments me and put me on high because I really helped them. I mean, when I'm testing my patients, I'm helping every single one of them but not all go to the extent of expressing their gratitude to me.

But there are those who did.

I do hearing screenings and of course these people who underwent the screening will need to come back again because it's a package for several years. I've seen some of my patients who came back and it's really touching that they remember me. But one particular sir said it out loud, "Oh I remember you from last year, because you're very nice and pleasant." That sentence just made me smile all over :)

Then I get e-mails from patients who commented that they are so sure that I'm very passionate and dedicated to my job, just from how I manage them. How cool is that?

The best part when a patient appreciates you would be when you get stuff from them! I will mark this date as historical when I first got a box of chocolates from my patient. It was 8th November 2011, and I received this:


It was an appreciation from my patient because he was really impressed with my professionalism and knowledge (my colleague got it too but heck, this blog is about me anyway :P)

Recently, a postcard was sent to me through my department, with the words "Thank You" and nothing else. A simple act, yes, but the effort taken by the person to post it to me - priceless! (this sounds like a Mastercard advert :P)

These appreciation be it verbal or material really pushes me to being a good Audiologist. And it really beats the routine blues. So dear fellow colleagues, do remember, every patient deserves the best from you, and always give them the meaningful touch :)

No comments:

Happy World Hearing Day!

Being an audiologist, I would drag my husband to do a hearing test whenever he doesn't listen to me. And each time, he proved me wrong w...