Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Drama at the Operation Theatre

Joined in a cochlear implant surgery recently. It was my third observation and most dramatic yet.

Basically when I come in I would just observe and make sure that I do not get in the way of the surgeon. I would also chat with my colleague, who'd do the NRT.

The first time I was in the operation theatre, I almost passed out because I couldn't stand seeing so much blood! But after awhile I braved myself and just put on a blank mind and observed the surgeon doing his stuff. I have to say, I am really impressed with the surgeon's confidence in handling the operation - he's drilling through the skull , y'all - and his hands definitely weren't shaking! If I were given the job, I'm sure I'd failed miserably. Bravo to surgeons worldwide.

So what made my third observation so dramatic was that - the surgeon was cleaning up some blood and was about to continue with the drilling, and suddenly the machine malfunctioned. It wouldn't drill! He kept on pressing on the pressure pump but only windy noise came out instead. The nurses went frantic - they tried to identify the cause of problem. They changed the tool, the pump, everything but it didn't solve the problem. The surgeon was pissed, and ordered them to get a replacement unit right that instant. A nurse managed to get one out. It worked okay and the surgeon continued finishing the prep.

At that time, both me and my colleague knew it's definitely not the best time to talk to the doctor, obviously.

Thanks to the expertise of the skilled team, everything went fine following that, including the NRT. And thank God the patient was not aware of what happened, or he'd freak out I'm sure (not that it ever happened in my hospital). I'm remembering a movie, "Awake" that I watched with my bff. The patient was undergoing a heart transplant but apparently he was not properly anesthesized! So he was partially awake the whole time during the procedure! Freaky much! I hated watching the movie, I was covering my eyes most of the time! Haha.

So everyone, when you're advised to go for surgery, think a thousand times. Do background checks and make sure you read the risks involved carefully! I'm not saying to say no to every surgery, but just be super extra careful - you never know what will happen! :S

No comments:

Happy World Hearing Day!

Being an audiologist, I would drag my husband to do a hearing test whenever he doesn't listen to me. And each time, he proved me wrong w...