Saturday, April 18, 2009

SOUND in Audiology

I was studying and found this simple yet straight-forward facts of sound in Audiology. The word SOUND can be used to easily remember the things that could cause hearing problems.

S = Sensory overload

O = Old age
~ age-related hearing loss usually does not lead to deafness but to auditory isolation.

U = Undiagnosed tumors or under-treated infections

N = Non-functioning ear canal or bones

~ anything that blocks the ear canal reduces sound flow

D = Damage from drugs, trauma or pressure
~ certain drugs have a toxic effect on hearing.
~ trauma and pressure trauma can damage the ear and also cause hearing loss.

As easy as ABC. Hear well, always! :)

No comments:

Happy World Hearing Day!

Being an audiologist, I would drag my husband to do a hearing test whenever he doesn't listen to me. And each time, he proved me wrong w...