Tuesday, November 25, 2008

If At First You Don't Succeed, Dust Yourself Off and Try Again

I recently had my clinical exam. I was given an adult case. In the clinical exam, I have to perform basic audiology assessments which are otoscopy examination (to check the outer ear), acoustic immittance test (to check the middle ear and auditory pathway) and also the pure tone audiometry (hearing test). One hour was given to complete all that including giving feedback to the patient.

I had about two weeks to prepare for my session. So I studied and studied and hungout a few times in between studying. By the time it was my turn, I thought I was ready. Nervous, but ready. I thought that I had it in me to do well.

On that day, fate decided otherwise. I had an army as my patient; from the moment I was seated on the chair across him, he was hitting on me. Because of his irrelevant, inappropriate, unprofessional and gross behavior, I became a wreck. My nerves could not settle and I was so uncomfortable, I wanted to finish the session. Fast.

It wasn't a session I would treasure in my heart, and I don't feel like telling everybody who bothers to read this blog what I went through. But basically I didn't do well and the lecturers thought they were giving me a chance to repeat and perform my usual best.

Chance? Haha. If they hadn't given me that kind of patient in the first place, I don't think I would have needed to repeat. They even told me it was a good experience, something that I had experience first ahead of my coursemates. Ha ha. Aren't they just funny? At least they admitted that I am one of the best student. Thus, my ego was not totally bruised.

Oh, the lecturers also told me that, my session with the army was his third visit to the clinic. For the first session, it was with a male lecturer (so of course he wouldn't be hitting on him); second with a third-year student, and he didn't show the unnecessary behavior. Only with my session that guy behaved like that, which was a surprise to the lecturers as well. I concluded it was due to my natural beauty and adorableness that got him to act like he did. Another ego-booster, and yet the thought does not comfort me.

Looking back at it positively, maybe there is a reason on why I have to repeat. Maybe it is a way of telling me that there will be days when I can't be on top all the time. Sometimes you have to fall to appreciate success. And by repeating, I am going to study a lot more, and strengthen my knowledge.

Thanks to everyone who supported me, especially Nor. You're the best :)

No comments:

Happy World Hearing Day!

Being an audiologist, I would drag my husband to do a hearing test whenever he doesn't listen to me. And each time, he proved me wrong w...