Monday, August 18, 2008

Clinical Attachment III: HTAR Klang







Upon entering the first semester of my final year, me and my coursemates were briefed on our clinical requirements. For the first time ever in the history of audiology in Malaysia (so the drama queen :P) final years will be sent for external clinic in selected hospitals: Putrajaya, Sungai Buloh, Klang, Kuala Terengganu, Seremban and Melaka.
Lucky for me, I was designated to Hospital Tuanku Ampuan Rahimah, Klang, together with Chun Suan, Umar and si penyibuk Luqman, under the supervision of Cik Siti Aminah.

I must say, it was the best clinical placement yet.
Firstly, the setting. It's quite nice although not completely equipped. I felt at ease working there and they're going to have MyHINT (a speech test) soon. Great! The only thing lacking (in my opinion) is they don't have enough chairs in the room. However, my supervisor did clarify that she doesn't want unnecessary people to overcrowd the room, which I accept as a solid reason even as my legs were giving out on me. (27/8/08: I went back on 25/8 and there were two green bar stools, which were supercool! So no lacking point anymore for HTAR Klang then. It's all goo0oo0od :P)
Talking about supervisors, Cik Siti is definitely a good one. I am all thumbs-up for her. She's patient, helpful, efficient, easy-going and really committed to her profession. I learned a lot from her and seriously, am more confident doing clinic under her supervision than anyone else. Other supervisors simply made me kancheong with their presence or trying-to-be-helpful-but-not interruptions.

I got to observe an ENT operation, tympanoplasty to be exact. It is a surgical procedure of repairing the eardrum. While changing out of the surgical gear, overheard the surgeons saying something like 'I shouldn't have blablabla...' followed by a 'Never mind, you learn by mistake...'. Excuse me? Did I hear her right? Mistake in the operation theatre?? Those sentences only confirmed my doubtfulness on doctors. I hope I don't have to experience situations where my life or my loved ones' lives are at the hands of the doctors. The movie 'Awake' is forever etched in my brain, thanks again to Mas.
Other plus points of doing the placement in Klang include staying at the Nurses Hostel which is just a less-than-10-minutes walk to the hospital and charged at the cheapest rate ever of RM1.00. Was a bit freaked out by the crows' nest in the room initially, but when cleaned, it was an okay room. Besides, on the weekends I didn't stay there as I went back home which is possible for me unless I was placed for example, in Kuala Terengganu. So yeah, quite enjoying myself during the three weeks.
One other important thing is, it's just a 10 minutes drive to the biggest Jusco in Malaysia (I think), Jusco Bukit Tinggi! I don't mind being placed anywhere; as long as there is a decent shopping complex, I'm a happy girl :)
Nothing but good reviews from me for HTAR Klang. Definitely a good place for clinical placement!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sekarang biggest Jusco in Southeast Asia ada kat Tebrau, JB. Saiz dia da macam MidV. Jom ar lepak kat JB plak. Asyik KL je. Huhu

Unknown said...

Nad..
best kan Jusco Bukit Tinggi tu..
kalo g sane bwk la kt skali.. hehe..

Happy World Hearing Day!

Being an audiologist, I would drag my husband to do a hearing test whenever he doesn't listen to me. And each time, he proved me wrong w...