Thursday, January 12, 2017

Hearing Aid for Cheap!

Yes. I haven’t been updating my blog. But apparently, people still read my blog, so here goes.
I was googling for some ideas to embark on a monumental project for the betterment of the hearing impaired community in Malaysia (drama, exaggeration at my finest); and that search ended up on lelong.com.my (a local version of ebay). So guess what I saw. Hearing aid selling for RM29.64… including free shipping!
11 sold!!!
I found it amusing and sad at the same time. It reminded me of the time when I was in Melbourne, when my husband showed me a text in a group chat. One of the group members in Malaysia was asking for one of their mates in Melbourne to buy a hearing aid on ebay for his relative. Obviously I have educated my husband well. He consulted me as soon as he saw that text. I put on my audiologist hat and answered in the most diplomatic way possible. It was something along the line of,
“Hearing aid is not something that you can buy off the rack. For vision, you wear glasses/spectacles to see. And to get that glasses/specs, you see an optometrist to be prescribed with the right glasses/specs, otherwise you will just damage your vision further! Likewise with hearing, same concept applies. You just don’t get a hearing aid from any Tom, Dick or Harry; you see an audiologist so that you get the right prescription for your hearing aids. An audiologist is a professional that can test your hearing and advise what is the best way to manage the hearing loss (if that is the case). I understand why people would consider getting them off ebay because hearing aids can be really expensive. But if it’s not fitted properly, you might just worsen your hearing and consequently make that user not want to wear hearing aids at all! In fact, he/she would feel better off without any aid, when all it needed was the right fitting. Please do consult an audiologist before making that purchase… you can see them at major hospitals in Malaysia or any hearing clinics/hearing aid centres.”
There was quite a long pause before anybody responded. Which means either they are digesting the information (yay!), or they couldn’t care less to read the whole thing. But then somebody suggested a friend who is in fact, an audiologist, so that was good. But the person who initiated the text said he’s just asking, he’ll let his relative know. Hopefully after all these years, his relative did get the right help!
So.If you’re an audiologist reading this. Do YOU find it disturbing that about a few units of these cheap aids have been sold? Share me your thoughts ☺ And if you’re on the web prowling for hearing aids, would you still buy a cheap hearing aid off the rack/ebay without consulting a professional? Do let me know as well! Obviously there’s something that is making you not convinced to seek an audiologist’s help…

1 comment:

Aailyah Adebayo said...

Thank you for sharing valuable information about hearing aids. I was looking for similar information. I have also used a number of hearing aids. But I think the hearing ads of MEDca Hearing are more effective. I am very happy to use it.

Happy World Hearing Day!

Being an audiologist, I would drag my husband to do a hearing test whenever he doesn't listen to me. And each time, he proved me wrong w...